Sunday, July 29, 2007

Buster has arrived

Lots of excitement in my neighborhood. My neighbor, whom I shall call George, has a mental illness and has been decompensating for many weeks. I tried several times to unsuccessfully get his care team involved. Things came to a head this week when he allegedly shot at the Catholic church across the street. The police had been called and wanted my friend and I to evacuate down to the corner. I explained that George had a cat and that I had promised to take care of it should he be hospitalized again. So as soon as I saw that the police had him in cuffs, I hurried over to ask him for keys to his apartment so I could rescue poor Buster. That didn't work out very well since George was very upset. I called his care-team to advise them of the situation and asked for their assistance. They were grateful for the information but offered nothing that was helpful regarding Buster. So I was on my own. Since I know the people at the management company, I gave them a call. They knew that George occasionally had difficulties so I was able to talk them into giving me keys to get into the apartment. Unfortunately they didn't work since George, in his delusional state, had changed every single lock to his apartment. Once I informed the company of this they advised me to try getting in through the basement which had a door to the outside. No luck here either. I could indeed get in the basement but not into George's apartment. It was then that I discovered that Buster had been locked in the basement, sans food, water and the necessary accouterments. There was a small hole in the wall which accessed a crawl space and as soon as Buster heard anyone at the basement door he would escape into this crawl space. Poor guy was very traumatized and scared so he wasn't about to let anyone near him. Came back with food and water and retired to my house to make a plan. Thank goodness for my live-trap. It took few days but I did indeed finally catch him. With help from a friend, since I can't do steps he finally arrived safely to my back porch. I am allowing him time to get used to his new abode before I start introducing my tribe of felines to him. And so it goes, God has once again dropped a needy little creature into my lap for me to take care of.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Birdele, I'm so glad you posted here AND made a comment at my blog! Thank you. You are a good neighbor to go to all those steps to take care of George's kitty. I'm glad you succeeded. You are very kind. How many cats do you have that this kitty needs to get adjusted to?

RevDrKate said...

Hey, good to see a post at last! Hope Buster hasn't been too upset by the new quarters and the adjustment to the "brood which must not be numbered."

Jan said...

Birdele, it's time to connect with us again!